With its breathtaking views, abundance of parks and green spaces, and multitude of local amenities, Bonnie Doon is truly one of the most desirable communities in all of Edmonton. Located conveniently off Whyte Avenue (82nd Avenue) it is close to both downtown and Southside Edmonton, accessible by a number of major roadways, and public transit.
Bonnie Doon is located in the south-central section of Edmonton, Alberta. The west side of the community was originally part of Strathcona, but became a division of Edmonton in 1912 when the two towns merged together. Over half of the present structures in the neighbourhood are less than 50-years-old and most of the houses for sale in the area now are a mixture of redevelopment and infill homes.
There truly are a wide variety of homes available in this historic area, with properties varying in price, size and style. The cost of owning a home in Bonnie Doon ranges from condos in the lower price range, to estates worth over $1 million. Mid-price real estate in the neighbourhood is typically bungalows or two-storey traditional homes. Many of these vintage properties are prime candidates for infill rebuilds, a growing trend throughout the city, and a popular choice for those who wish to live in a new home but don’t want to sacrifice the amenities available near the downtown core.
Many properties in the area offer a view of the scenic river valley, most notably the gorgeous Mill Creek Ravine. The many paths and walkways through the ravine lead onto the North Saskatchewan River valley on the opposite bank from downtown. The Mill Creek Outdoor Swimming Pool is a popular destination for Edmontonians during the hot summer months.
Here are a few tidbits about Bonnie Doon for those interested in learning more:
- Bonnie Doon takes its name from the Scottish for “pleasant, rolling countryside.
- Bonnie Doon is home to one of Edmonton’s first major shopping malls, Bonnie Doon Shopping Centre.
- There are two schools in the neighbourhood: Rutherford Elementary School and École Maurice-Lavallée.
- In the City of Edmonton’s 2012 municipal census, Bonnie Doon had a population of 4,550 living in 2,446 dwellings.
- The neighbourhood extends roughly from the North Saskatchewan River Valley in the north to Whyte (82) Avenue in the south, and Mill Creek Ravine in the west to Connors Road in the northeast and 83 Street in the east.